Microscopic and Endoscopic Approaches to the Skull Base
June 7 — June 9
Taking place at IRCAD in Strasbourg – http://www.ircad.fr/
Prof. Froelich – Lariboisière Hospital Paris and Prof. Debry – University Hospital of Strasbourg.
This workshop is intended for neurosurgeons or ENTs from the world over, to learn and practice the technical skills required for skull base surgery. It has been structured to provide both didactic lectures and intensive hands-on cadaver dissection sessions, covering a broad spectrum of transcranial and endoscopic approaches. A panel of distinguished leaders in these fields will deliver lectures focusing on skull base anatomy, transcranial and endoscopic approaches as well as therapeutic strategies for skull base lesions. The scientific program will include a guest speaker session on a topic related to skull base neurosurgery, with lectures given by world-renowned experts. Topics previously discussed included acoustic neuroma, microvascular decompression, radiosurgery for skull base lesions, pediatric skull base neurosurgery and revascularization techniques. Attendees will benefit from the outstanding surgical lab environment of the IRCAD with state-of-the-art equipment provided by our dedicated sponsors. For hands-on sessions, a demonstration will be performed at the master station, transmitted onto a screen at each workstation. In the meantime, participants will work as a team of two on prepared injected fixed specimens under the guidance of a distinguished expert Faculty.
Practicing neurosurgeons and ENT specialists, fellows and residents in training
– To provide an overview of the complex anatomy of the skull base
– To cover a broad spectrum of the skull base approaches and describe the technical steps of each specific approach
– To discuss indications of skull base approaches and surgical strategies
– To provide hands-on sessions on cadaveric specimens and improve skills
– To become more familiar with endoscopic endonasal approaches
– To understand the rationale and challenge of endoscopic endonasal approaches to the skull base
– To allow case discussions between experts and trainees Educational methods