Neurosurgical Intensive Care
Decompression is still the mainstay of surgical intervention for neurosurgeons treating neurocritical care patients. However, during the last 20 years, an evolution away from a mechanistic approach has transformed neurocritical care into an increasingly multidisciplinary field. Neurosurgical Intensive Care, 2nd Edition reflects this new paradigm, authored by a neurosurgeon with contributions from experts in the fields of neurology, vascular neurology, interventional neuroradiology, anesthesiology, critical care, traumatology, nutrition, and advanced practice nursing.
Neuromonitoring advances have enabled customized interventions tailored to each patient’s unique circumstances. The critical care of neurosurgical patients has evolved from an emphasis on pulmonary care (ventilation and oxygenation) to a more nuanced understanding of cerebral protection measures required to manage a disrupted blood-brain-barrier. This edition encompasses advances in the use of ICP monitors, external ventricular devices, brain tissue oxygen monitoring devices, cerebral microdialysis, fluid and electrolyte correction, as well as the increasing use of continuous EEG in the ICU.
- Straightforward summaries for each stage of patient care including bedside exams, neuroimaging, lab work, triage procedures, sedation and pain management, neuropharmacology, nutritional needs, administration of fluids, and more.
- 159 tables and figures facilitate rapid evaluation and decision making.
- Clinical pearls on a wide range of ICU scenarios – from pathophysiology and management of coma – to interventions for spinal cord injury, multisystem injuries, acute ischemic stroke, and pediatric cases.
- Insights on how to handle family communication and spiritual needs, medical-legal issues, and discharge planning
This compact, highly practical handbook provides a stellar reference for managing critically ill neurosurgical patients in the ICU. It is a must-have resource for nurses, medical students, residents, fellows, and attending physicians who treat these patients.
- Published on: 2017-05-01
- Original language: English
- Dimensions: 5.00″ h x .0″ w x 8.00″ l,
- Binding: Paperback
- 576 pages